[r-t] Cambridge Surprise Major in the 3-4 Position

Simon Gay Simon.Gay at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Mar 25 17:04:15 GMT 2019

They are written with 3-4 as observation, aren't they? 3-4 are home at
all the course ends, the way the callings are set out. Using lead
numbers for the calling positions seems reasonable, given that each
position has two place bells for 3-4, and they could be either way around.

Graham, did you consider using non-standard calls? E.g. 1256 singles at
3 or 4 or 7?

By the way, I've just written a blog article about what I look for in a
handbell composition:

https://www.handbellringing.co.uk

and of course Graham's peal composition is pretty much the complete
antithesis! That's not a criticism - Graham already said that his
composition might be too complicated to be useful. Very interesting that
it can be done, though.

Simon