[r-t] Cambridge Surprise Major in the 3-4 Position

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 18:48:13 GMT 2019

On 25/03/2019 16:53, Alexander E Holroyd wrote:
> Interesting!  How do these look if you write them with 34 as observation?

Yes, as Simon says I used numbered calling positions that are fixed
with respect to 3-4 as observation.

Although I agree that the peal really needs to be a multi-part to be
useful, you do sometimes have to think a little differently. There is
a fixed pair, it is just that it is 3-4 rather than 7-8, so the
coursing orders still only affect 5 bells. The problem is that as
conductors we have got used to the 5 bell coursing orders with the
tenors fixed.

Simon:
> Graham, did you consider using non-standard calls? E.g. 1256 singles at 3 or 4 or 7?

No, but I might look to see if that helps.

What is frustrating is that the falseness of Cambridge is
substantially reduced if you have a pair fixed in the 3-4 position and
miss out the leads where either of the pair is thirds place bell, by
making them both make the bob, giving a 5 lead course. You can produce
highly structured and long compositions like, that such as the 10368
rung on handbells as part of the Cambridge four long lengths in a day
(https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/comp.php?id=838). The problem is that
to ring 3-4 as that fixed pair you have to get into and out of rounds,
and that is the very lead that you have to miss out!

Graham