[r-t] Question about shortest link methods - does truth make a difference?

Edmund Mottershead edmund.mottershead at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 00:48:39 BST 2020

I believe you can expand your argument for Dt to Dp.

Suppose Dp(r)=Dpt(r) does not hold for all r.
So there exist some rows r such that Dp(r) < Dpt(r).
Let us take the row from this set such with the shortest link method.
Call this row R and we have that Dp(R) < Dpt(R) and for all r such that
that is true, Dp(R) <= Dp(r)

If we prick out Dp(R) we will find some row k which appears twice.
So in the place notation for Dp(R) we will have a piece of notation X such
that for a row l, X(l) = k
In addition we will have another piece of place notation Y and another row
m such that Y(k) = m

>From the definition of Dp(R), the concatenation of X and Y must create a
long place, else we would just omit the intervening rows.
However I claim that for any X.Y creating long places we can devise a 3
change, true method section accomplishing the same result.

This method section will be shorter than the false section leading from k
to k, since there must be at least two changes between the ks, eg
l,k,*,*,k,m
as opposed to l,*,*m.

This is a contradiction, so Dp(r) = Dpt(r) for all r.

The tricky part is rigorously showing how to do your trick of getting from
34.14 to 12X14 for all concatenations of place notation.
If one of the changes has bells making places in adjacent pairs then we can
replace that change with the 'opposite' change, then the cross change, eg
36.56 becomes 36.1234X.
If both the place are split, then it seems that you can rewrite the changes
to be on a smaller sets of bells, eg 16.36 becomes 14X1256.
I can't get my brain to think about the equivalent scenarios for odd
numbered bell methods at this time of night, but I think that it works.

Best,
Ed