[r-t] Question about shortest link methods - does truth make a difference?

Alexander E Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Sun Apr 5 12:24:42 BST 2020

Dear Ed,

This sounds like a promising approach, but I don't understand part of
your argument.  Suppose we can establish your interesting claim:

For any two changes X and Y such that X.Y contains a long place (in
other words such that X and Y share a place), there is a true 3-change
block U.V.W that achieves the same permutation.
(By the way, I think you intend U.V.W to have no long places, and I
don't see why it needs to be true).

Then how do you know you can substitute U.V.W for X....Y in the method
that achieves Dp(R) without creating long places?  Perhaps U or W
creates a long place in conjunction with the place notations before and
after X and Y in the method.  Am I missing something?

However, I like your idea of considering a minimal counterexample.  Can
we somehow argue that there is a shorter counterexample, by omitting
irrelevant parts before and after the false section?

Ander