[r-t] Terminology question

Joe Norton super.joey.norton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 18:39:46 BST 2020

I may be about to ask a stupid question or two, but please humour me...

Given some block, A. A is some method or block or other ordered set of
changes on a given number of bells. It could be anything.

If we reflect A about its midpoint (front to back) then the block produced
is called "Reverse A". I think I'm still on firm ground.

First question:
If we make "Backwards A", as in last change first and first change last
etc, what is that called as an operation? I'm assuming it's not called
reversal, since that is the process of producing "Reverse A" as above.

Second question:
In terms of naming, should A and "Backwards A" be related in any way? This
does not usually become an issue seeing as the vast majority of common
methods are palindromic. Methods like Polebrook Bob Doubles
( and Cotterstock Bob Doubles
( would suggest not but I wondered if there have
been any naming rules since then.

Thank you and sorry for asking daft questions!

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://bellringers.org/pipermail/ringing-theory/attachments/20200824/bfad6ac6/attachment.html>

More information about the ringing-theory mailing list