[r-t] Find an extent using only the place notations 1,7,345

Richard Pullin grandsirerich at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 26 16:20:33 BST 2020

I had been trying to use Robert's method in various different ways and have
now managed to produce a 5040 by using slightly different blocks of the
same method.

The main block is P,P,S,P,P,L from the coding below. This block is a
three-part touch that binds all six of the +ve 5678 and 6578 courses
together, so it is a very useful way of ticking the different courses off.
The other advantage is that the 6578 courses are rung backwards, so the 7th
rings in all six possible lead head positions, making for less restricted
options of linking the blocks together.

Always the biggest challenge was dealing with the 6-element q-sets, but you
can play them at their own game.

I prefer to think of the peal as Original Triples with one type of call
(albeit with calls at both strokes), rather than a Plain method with long
leads, short leads and occasional half-lead calls.

5040 Original Triples
    234567
P  746235
O  764523
P  342765
S  347265
2P 264573
L  265347
   ------
2A 246357
   ------
2P 354762
S  357462
O  375246
P  654372
L  653247
   ------
2P 245736
S  247536
2P 534672
L  536247
   ------
H  562743
S  567243
2P 246375
L  243567
   ------
P  736245
H  762543
P  324765
S  327465
2P 462573
L  465327
   ------
2A 426357
   ------
2P 352764
S  357264
O  375426
P  652374
L  653427
   ------
2P 425736
S  427536
2P 532674
L  536427
   ------
O  563742
S  567342
2P 346275
L  342567
   ------
3-part
A = 2P,S,O,P,L,2P,S,2P,L,2P,S,2P,L
P = +345.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.345.1
O = +345.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.7.1
H = +345.1.7.1.7.345.7.1.7.1.7.1.345.1
S = +345.1.345.1.345.1
L = +345.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.345.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.345.1

One of my failed attempts was to use the building block 345.7. 345.7.
345.7. 345.7. 345.7. 345.7 as a Reverse Stedman type thing. You could have
a very neat 21-part, where a place notation 1 is replaced by 7 (or vice
versa) in every 3rd part. I got quite close to a finished part, but ran
into difficulties.