[r-t] <SPAM> Singles in TD Minor

gaataylor at blueyonder.co.uk gaataylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jun 6 17:06:01 BST 2020

Many moons ago I wrote inter-method falseness software to tabulate the half-leads of a minor method Y that were false when the half-lead 23456 was rung to method X – although I was more focussed on touches of 540+ for quarter peals using “everyday” methods that weren’t normally spliced together rather than looking for 720s in particular. One feature that I remember spotting at the time (around 1998) was that the positive half-leads of Bacup Surprise with a bell fixed in 5ths place are only false with negative half-leads with the same bell in 5ths place. Given that 5ths place bell is the pivot bell in Bacup then it follows that if, say, the tenor only ever rings negative half-leads when it is 5ths place bell then a 720 should be possible. This was achieved as follows:

720 Bacup S Minor  (GAAT)

23456

45236    2s 3s

34256    2s 3s  Out

3part. s=1236

The same feature was also used for splicing Bacup & Bamborough in a 720 involving singles, and a similar trick for Westminster that also used a lead of Ripley to enable a 2-3-4 shunt in a 3-part. Adjacent to these in my notebook is also a 3-part of spliced Alnwick/Newcastle/Lightfoot/Wearmouth which uses four conventional singles per part, but it doesn’t include a note explaining the underlying method property that made this possible.

I agree with Richard that single method treble-dodging 720s don’t really lead anywhere as they rely on very specific method properties that are unique to the method in question and not generally applicable. Nevertheless, they do have an arcane interest.

Glenn