[r-t] Stedmonster triples

Phillip Barnes phil at piltdown.org.uk
Tue May 5 13:26:37 BST 2020

A peal of the Cinques version of this method was (infamously) attempted at Kettering in September 1984 to a composition by John Hughes-D’Aeth. I cannot now remember if it was him or Paul Mounsey that was calling it but I do recall that the ability to count to four rather than two was one reason for us not getting the peal, which was lost after just over an hour or so.

Sadly, therefore, the name Andrew Wilby’s Speedboat Cinques never entered the canon. This list is not the place to discuss any of the other stories surrounding the attempt and we are all, anyway, much older now!

Phil

http://www.boojum.org.uk/cgi-bin/line.pl?bells=7&pn=7.1.5.1.5.1.5.1.5.1.7.5.1.5.1.5.1.5.1.5&title=Stedmonster%20Triples&style=1&place-bellsx=on&rule=1%2C10&layout=1&action.x=1

> The name "Stedmonster" seems to be in currency in certain places where
> it is rung.
>
> I think the method has been discussed before, but so far as I know it
> was open whether an extent was possible. It turns out that it is not so

> hard to find one, although it would not be exactly easy to ring.

This method was one of the ideas I discussed in the Christmas issue of
The Ringing World, issue 5669/5670, p.1246
(subscriber link: https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/issues/2019/1246)

https://lists.ringingworld.co.uk/pipermail/ringing-theory_bellringers.org/2020-January/027060.html

I pointed that in Campanalogia (1677), p.168, Fabian Stedman says:‘ ‘Tis
plainly demonstrable, that [t]he Principle upon five may go 420 triples
upon seven, which is a twelfth part; 840 which is a sixth part; or 1260
which is a fourth part of the whole, and the utmost period of triple
changes. And then by making four extreams it may go 5040, the complete
peal.’

From the article:

"Hunting on five, not three

Another idea is to vary the six structure such as plain hunt and reverse
plain hunt to be on five, not three. This gives sections of ten rows
instead of six.
&5.1.5.1.7.5.1.5.1.5,1
The line is like an extended Stedman front work with hunting and points on
the front 5, with quadruple dodges at the back. This gives a 140 change
plain course, so to extend to 420 needs a bob. Changing a 7 to a 5 will
not work, as it is next to another 5. Changing a 1 to a 3, or a 5 to a 3
or 5 to a 7 could work. For symmetry these should be in the middle of a
slow or quick ten. It is quite easy to generate a 420, 840 or 1260 with
calls changing a 5 to a 7 in the fourth or seventh slow ten of a course,
e.g. the following three parts: 420: 7 or 820: 7;4,7 or 1260: 7;7;4,7. I
cannot see an easy way of generating a 5040 with four extremes, and a peal
in whole courses is unlikely as I have only found 19 mutual true courses,
but 36 would be required. As a curiosity this extends to higher numbers,
either with more dodging pairs behind, or with hunting on 7 or 9."

I didn't consider the bob you chose "- = 3 for 7" as I was trying to get a
simple 420, 840 or 1260. Can you find a 5040 with 4 extremes?

Andrew Johnson

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.