[r-t] Framework v2

Ted Steele bells at tedsteele.plus.com
Thu Jun 17 11:36:45 BST 2021

On 16/06/2021 18:51, Mark Davies wrote:
> Ted Steele wrote,
>
>> The band that first rings a method and publishes it, such that the
>> acting of publishing requires the method to have a name, should be
>> and are the only logical person(s) to have naming rights
>
> That's not right at all - there are other perfectly logical ways to
> assign naming rights, not least the idea that the person who invented
> a method ought to be the one who names it. In fact, that's generally
> what occurs, except that the inventor has to go to the effort of
> getting a band to ring it, and (if they're not ringing themselves)
> hope the conductor honours their wishes.

Yes, I agree with regard to those who invent methods, but since the
inventor is likely to be closely involved in, or the commissioning of
the first ringing of the method, does it make much difference? In any
case is it really true to say that methods are invented? Except for
special purpose methods and principles there cannot be much now that one
can fairly claim to have uniquely originated. No doubt this is a well
rehearsed discussion.

Ted