[r-t] Framework v2

Simon Gay Simon.Gay at glasgow.ac.uk
Thu Jun 17 12:30:24 BST 2021

On 17/06/2021 11:36, Ted Steele wrote:
> On 16/06/2021 18:51, Mark Davies wrote:
>> Ted Steele wrote,
>>
>>> The band that first rings a method and publishes it, such that the
>>> acting of publishing requires the method to have a name, should be
>>> and are the only logical person(s) to have naming rights
>>
>> That's not right at all - there are other perfectly logical ways to
>> assign naming rights, not least the idea that the person who invented
>> a method ought to be the one who names it. In fact, that's generally
>> what occurs, except that the inventor has to go to the effort of
>> getting a band to ring it, and (if they're not ringing themselves)
>> hope the conductor honours their wishes.
>

> Yes, I agree with regard to those who invent methods, but since the
> inventor is likely to be closely involved in, or the commissioning of
> the first ringing of the method, does it make much difference? In any
> case is it really true to say that methods are invented? Except for
> special purpose methods and principles there cannot be much now that one
> can fairly claim to have uniquely originated. No doubt this is a well
> rehearsed discussion.
>
> Ted

The idea that methods are not really invented seems to be part of the
reason why composers of methods are not systematically recorded, in the
way that composers of peals are.

In some categories of methods, e.g. treble dodging minor, all the
possibilities (subject to various conditions) have been catalogued so
it's reasonable to say that all the methods have already been discovered.

But for e.g. surprise maximus, the space is so large that there is
considerable creativity and judgement in producing methods that are
appealing to ring.

There are some classic methods whose composers are well-known, if only
as folklore. For example Rod Pipe and Peter Border producing Orion, and
E. Bankes James producing Bristol. But others are not widely known, and
the folk memory will disappear.

I think it would be good to develop a better record of the composers of
methods. I have suggested that crowd-sourcing it through CompLib would
be an effective way to do it. Often the composer or conductor of the
first peal of a method is a good clue, but not necessarily.

Simon