[r-t] Multi-cyclic composition

Jonathan Agg jonathan.agg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 16:18:20 BST 2021

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 14:48, Simon Gay <Simon.Gay at glasgow.ac.uk> wrote:

> Would it be correct to say that in effect all the methods are link methods?

That's a good description, which I should have used in my original email!

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 14:58, Alan Reading <alan.reading at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Variety of run types through the part I would think would be the main
> advantage? Although perhaps also an element of Jonathan wanting to see how
> far the idea of multiple shunts could be pushed?
> It's not going to be easy to get all the methods to feel nice and be
> ringable though. I wonder if there is a compromise solution with 4 or 5
> shunts per part and a few regular methods for breathing space?

I agree that the potential for variety of music is a benefit, and is I
think a necessary requirement on this type of composition to make the
effort of learning it worthwhile. The additional 'element of surprise' of
having the framework turn upside every lead would make it quite exciting to
ring I think, possibly too much to cope with every lead for a whole peal!
The idea of a compromise of roughly half link methods and half regular
methods would probably have the same overall effect, while likely being a
fair bit easier to learn and ring.

It started as an idea to see if it was possible, and I was pleasantly
surprised that this kind of framework with palindromic methods even
existed, and then even more surprised that it could work with nice pivot
bells, all being either the 2 or the tenor appropriately "cyclicly-shunted"
from the leadhead.

In the first lead the tenor is pivot from rounds. From rounds, 'good'
options for pivot bells are 2 or T in order to have natural music.

1234567890ET (A 1E098765432T,+T, pivot:T)

In the second lead, the eleven is pivot. This leadhead comes from the
partend 1T234567890E, with 'good' options being E or T).

10E89674523T (B 1T3E09876542,+2, pivot:3)

Adam has also come up with more methods fitting the same framework with
significantly more music: https://complib.org/composition/78583 (along with
several other interesting looking recent compositions:
https://complib.org/composition/search/?composer=Adam%20A%20Brady)

Jonathan