[r-t] Multi-cyclic composition

Alan Reading alan.reading at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 31 18:05:46 BST 2021

I believe that another way of thinking of the structure which I find
helpful is the following.
In any plain course consisting of regular maximus methods, any lead where
the 7th is the pivot bell can always be replaced by a symmetrical link
method giving any one of the 10 possible shunts.
This composition seems to be based on the following course of p.b. lead
heads:

1234567890ET
1ET907856342
13527496E8T0
19E7T5038264
157392E4T608
1795E3T20486
18604T2E3957
1648203T5E79
108T6E492735
142638507T9E
1T0E89674523

The first lead could be a 12ths place method with 7ths p.b. as pivot,
the 2nd lead a 2nds place method with 6th p.b. as pivot (which is rung by
the 7th),
and so on alternating 12ths place, 2nds place with the place bell of the
pivot decreasing by one each time.
Until you reach the lead end 1795E3T20486. At that point you need to get
the 7th out to 12ths place bell which is where Jonathan's funny method
comes in.
After that the pattern resumes...

Then what I assume happens is that each (theoretical) regular method in the
above is replaced by a link method chosen so that the shunt it gives allows
2 or 12 of the part to ring the pivot?
Given that the methods are necessarily irregular I wonder if that is
actually a helpful restriction (music wise) in every case?

It is very interesting what happens between
1795E3T20486
18604T2E3957
and I wouldn't have necessarily guessed this could be replaced by a
symmetrical link method albeit with a 10ths place lead end.
I think it's also the case that whilst all 11 lead heads are included, the
plain bob lead end 17593E2T4068, is absent.

There are some interesting ideas at play here for sure. I still think it
might be good to come up with a course structure of regular methods where
2,7&T variously ring pivot bells.
The ones where 2 and T do can then be replaced with classical regular
methods and the ones where the 7th does with link methods.
Some work / experimentation to be done on what initial structure and what
shunts would be best for music.

Cheers,
Alan