[r-t] Jumpin Jiminy

Richard Pullin grandsirerich at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 19 11:43:51 BST 2022

On Fri Apr 15 15:07:18 BST 2022, Ander Holroyd wrote:

"""Are there other ways of choosing the negative coset that could be
more amenable, I wonder?  Presumably you can apply any negative
involution instead of pn7, but perhaps it just comes down to the same
thing?"""

"""Regarding ringability, this does look pretty eccentric to me.  I
would not be averse to single changes instead of jumps, if long places
could be avoided."""

The main reason for pn7 was that it produces the 7-part cycles from
the group PSL(2,7), through 14 rows of Plain Hunt. I suppose any other
negative involution strays from the group. But PSL(2,7) was definitely
the group I wanted to use, as it seemed the most well suited to the
job for various reasons.

I think there could be some nice alternatives using double/single
changes, though maybe more in the line of treble dominated methods.
112-row plain courses would be interesting to explore, and the
challenge of joining the 45 courses. Of course, the ideal would be to
have triple changes only but I imagine that's too much to ask.