[r-t] All the 4-runs

John Harrison john at jaharrison.me.uk
Tue Jan 18 14:29:06 GMT 2022

In article <03A2535B-DEE5-49AB-9975-3068785F6BFF at yahoo.co.uk>,
   David Sullivan <david_vince_sullivan at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I note that this composition contains "Near calls" ...

On a slight tangent ... It may be a coincidence but Graham J recently
brought near and far calls to my attention.  I'd not met the terms before
but they made sense and I've added them to the glossary.

The definitions I used interpret near and far relative the hunt bell.  By
default the Treble is leading at a call but for half lead calls it would by
lying so the meanings of near and far would change, as they do for example
in the mnemonics for ringing things like Double Norwich.

With Original there is no hunt bell so near and far must have fixed
meanings, presumably relative to leading.

When I first met Original Major (as a method for ringing touches) Stan
Scott who was keen on it said it 'should' have 6th place bobs but they rang
it with 4th place bobs (hence they called it Easthampstead variation).

I wonder if there is some compositional advantage in using 4th place bobs
rather than 6th place.  It's use here suggests there might be.

> these are ”-”, ”s•, ”b• and ”x•. No explanation is given

Inspecting the blue line

- = 14
s = 1234
b = 1456