[r-t] Rules and Innovation

Tim Barnes tjbarnes23 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 11:32:27 UTC 2014

Recognizing the desire not to have rules-related discussion dominate this
list too much, here's what I'd propose:  As people will no doubt have
gathered, I'm interested in debating some of the thornier issues in ringing
rules, and then gauging opinion with votes.  There are probably about 10
items to cover.  The purpose is nothing more than to (a) have some
interesting (to some people..) discussions, and (b) provide some input
(albeit uninvited) for CC members on the list as they decide what to do
following the successful CC motion that the rules need a complete rethink
(not sure what the actual wording was).

I'm aware that (b) might not lead to anything, and if it doesn't, well we
tried, and we hopefully had some amusement trying.  We may also have learnt
some things along the way.

I'd envisage a few days' debate on each item, then a vote, and then we
could break for a week or two for people to bring up other theory /
innovation topics, before then moving on to the next rules item.  That way
we'd be done before year end, which is presumably the sort of timetable
needed if the CC is working towards a motion next May.

So with that in mind, I'll recirculate the non-divisible lead question
later today, we can have any remaining debate, and then start the vote
tomorrow night.  I suspect the result on this topic might be inconclusive,
but even knowing that is a useful data point.

Don - I'm not ignoring your note - I'm just not sure how your proposals
would be practically implemented with the way ringing is reported and
recorded today.  I am in favor of a clearly defined and recognized
'Miscellaneous Performance' category (which can probably be better-named)
for things that don't fit into other categories.

TJB