[r-t] Minor Blocks: Poll results

Matthew Frye matthew at frye.org.uk
Wed Jul 16 10:57:46 UTC 2014

On 16 Jul 2014, at 09:24, John Fisher <ghoti at mad.scientist.com> wrote:

> Matthew Frye wrote:
>> Q: "Do you think a lead should always be the minimum non-divisible block?"
>> Opinions seem pretty evenly split, which doesn't really help much!
>
> I don't like the fact that 6ths-place Morning Star turns into a differential
> hunter with 2 hunt bells.  However: nths-place Plain Bob turns from a
> conventional hunter with a well-formed treble path into a principle.  Would
> anybody argue that nths-place Plain Bob should be considered a separate
> method to plain hunt?  If not, what is the difference between the two cases?

Well, that's the very issue, isn't it? Different example cases suggest different answers.

Perhaps all we need is to change the suggested rule so that no lead is a multiple or fraction of any *existing* method(/block). I think this removes the worst hypothetical situations of both sides of the argument (we keep Morning Star as is, but prevent eg "Double Lead Cambridge") however the downside is that what is considered as a valid method will change over time.

MF