[r-t] Minor Blocks: Poll results

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 10:41:03 UTC 2014

Don wrote:

> Why do you need the name to define it?

Name, Stage and Notation are required to add a rung method to a collection.
The name is required to derive the Title, which must be unique. So the only
essential information to add, say, Belfast Little Surprise Major to a
collection is [Belfast, 8,  "34-5.14-12-3.14-12.36,1"]. Of course you can
compile collections of unnamed methods, but they have no Titles.

> By "different domain" do you mean "something other than ringing"?

No, I just meant the next level up in the taxonomy. Phylum would be the
equivalent for organisms.

I think it is helpful to think of a Method in a wider sense as any algorithm
for generating rows. This avoids the clumsy "non-method" tag. The algorithm
for conventional methods is a sequence of changes (place notation) and the
algorithm for a Dixonoid is changes determined by rules based upon the
position of bells in the previous row(s). You could divide these into two
super-categories of method, "Static" and "Dynamic".

If you wanted to define Cylindrical ringing, you would have to go up another
level, since different definitions of row and truth would be required.

Graham