[r-t] Bobs-only Stedman Triples

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jan 2 17:28:56 UTC 2018

> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 8:51 AM, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:
> > I’m sorry, I’m rather confused. All these three parts are being
> > displayed on complib with a part-head that is the same as the
> > starting course head,
>
> I guess I should point out that what I’m seeing when I click one of
> those links is:
>
> | 5040 Stedman Triples Op. 541
> | Composed by Andrew Johnson
> |  2314567        1       2       3       4       5       6       7
>       8       9       10
> |  2317546        –       –       –       –       –       –
>       –       –                       W
..

> |  6154372                –       –       –       –       –
>       –       –
> | (2314567)       –       –       –       –       –       –
>       –       –
> | 3 part.

I wondered a bit about that too, but not enough to investigate until you
mentioned it.
It seems to be caused by the labelled 'Z' block, which was just added to
get the section lines, and the 'Z' label isn't actually required to
generate that last line. Omiting the 'Z' label gives the expected course
end:
6152347         –       –       –       –       –       –               –
–

Perhaps I should change the ones I entered into CompLib.

I looked at some other peals,

5040 Stedman Triples Op. 87     Joseph W Parker
https://complib.org/composition/28972

5040 Stedman Triples    Brian D Price
https://complib.org/composition/28996

5040 Stedman Triples    Philip A B Saddleton
https://complib.org/composition/29007

which all have a lettered block used (rather than defined) at the end of a
part and have
(2314567)      A
or
(2314567)      2B

as the part-end.

CompLib is an impressive tool/collection, with "Composition Library beta"
"23,247 Compositions 20,870 Methods 80 Collections"
but the wording states:
"Welcome to Composition Library
Composition Library is still under development, so please do not rely on
the accuracy of any information presented. Any comments, suggestions or
bug reports are welcome."

which although probably true for many programs (either it is under
development, and some things are broken and are being fixed, or nothing is
changing, and any bugs won't be fixed), gives a slight sense of unease.

--
Andrew Johnson

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.