[r-t] Bobs-only Stedman Triples

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 09:56:34 UTC 2018

On 2 January 2018 at 13:51, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:
> I’m sorry, I’m rather confused. All these three parts are
> being displayed on complib with a part-head that is the
> same as the starting course head, which doesn’t make
> sense for a multi-part composition. What’s going on?
> Is this some sort of complib bug, or odd convention,
> or am I missing something?

The composition layout engine is the most complicated part of Complib
and there are some known errors that are non-trivial to resolve. In
addition to that, Stedman compositions tend to be laid out in a way
that is unique to Stedman. In most cases, the bugs only affect the
single-part layout of a multi-part, so the bug disappears if you use
the option to expand all parts. The use of named blocks to break it
into sections is also having an affect - if you select the expand
named blocks option, the part head is displayed correctly.

The compositions are being pricked correctly (which can be seen by
looking at the blue line display) and this confirmed by the correct
length being shown and the composition being marked as true. This is
validated every time a composition is displayed.

Graham