Americanisms; and Trinity NYC

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Thu Dec 26 19:45:31 GMT 2002

This message follows on from parts of various chat threads but also
touches on some history, and so goes to both lists. Other dual
subscribers please bear with me.

Apropos of previous discussions about American spellings, word usages
and other differences from [=to!] the Queen's English, my father gave
me for Christmas a new book by Jill Lepore. Titled "A is for
American" and subtitled "Letters and Other Characters in the Newly
United States," it was just published this year (ISBN 0-375-40449-X).
It is both an easy read (I finished it on Christmas evening) and a
scholarly work (30 pages of footnotes supplying bibliographic
references). Lepore tells the tales of seven unusual American
characters (mostly well-known) and their efforts to use language
(including, in some cases, new alphabetic characters) to define
national character and shape national boundaries.

What I found most relevant to the R-C discussion was Lepore's
elucidation of how Noah Webster (of dictionary fame) and other early
American philologists consciously attempted to produce an American
language which was distinct from the English language that was the
ancestral tongue of most American citizens. This is probably the
origin of most of the differences between British English and
American English today (color/colour, etc.). We should be thankful
that Webster's more extreme proposals for revisions in spelling and
orthography were never accepted, otherwise Americans and Brits would
have even more difficulty in communicating than we currently do!

In contrast to these forces of nativism (verging at times on
xenophobia), there were also forces of globalism at work in America.
Among the products of these forces were early attempts at
international alphabets, supposedly suitable for recording all spoken
languages. Another product was Morse code, which made the electrical
telegraph a practical means of rapid communication, thereby
obsoleting the various types of optical telegraphs which had been
implemented in the preceding decades. Although Lepore does not make
the point explicitly, it seems probable that the globalist tendencies
which she describes served to mitigate the nativist tendencies in
America.

Now for the ringing connection, which provides an interesting
parallel to the globalist-versus-nationalist tensions which Lepore
identifies, and seems equally appropriate to the
globalist-versus-nationalist tensions which sometimes appear on the
R-C and C-R lists. Quoting from Lepore (pp.139-140):
"On September 1, 1858, the people of New York spilled out onto the
streets of the city ... in commemoration of the successful laying of
the [first] Atlantic cable connecting New York to London by
telegraph. The festivities began early. At nine o'clock the bells
at Trinity Church rang "Hail Columbia," "God Save the Queen," and
"Yankee Doodle," filling the streets with sound. ...
"... [These festivities] celebrated the reunion of the United
States with its mother country. ... Samuel F.B. Morse [was heralded]
as a champion of peace."
No matter that the cable failed the same day, and that its
replacement would not be laid until 1866--a new era of rapid
communication had begun, and its importance was widely recognized.
We who subscribe to these lists are inheritors of Morse's vision.

In 1797, Trinity Church in New York City had received the fourth
octave of bells in North America. All four sets had been produced in
England, the first by Rudhall and the rest by Whitechapel. All four
had originally been hung for change ringing. In 1849, Trinity added
a ninth bell (also from Whitechapel), which was the first semitone
bell in North America. Although the records are scanty, it seems
obvious that this was a significant step toward what soon became a
distinctly American development in the art of tower bells. Certainly
it was these nine bells that were heard chiming from Trinity's tower
in the celebrations of Sep.1858.

Between 1850 and 1858, no fewer than three American bellfoundries had
begun to manufacture chimes of 9 or more bells, many of them heavier
than the original English imports. By the time American bellfounding
effectively ceased a century later, more than 600 such chimes had
been made, the great majority of which are still in existence.

Today, five of the six original octaves in North America have been
restored for change ringing. Trinity's bells remain an
electric-action chime (the early manual chime mechanism having long
since disappeared, it seems). One wonders whether they will ever be
restored to their original use or whether they will remain an
Americanism.