[Bell Historians] Trinity Church New York

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Sun Dec 29 18:55:31 GMT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

The bells were listed in earlier editions of "Dove" as a 25 cwt 8, unringab=
le. I submitted the tenor weight as the bell referred to in the Whitechape=
l records is almost certainly - without actually seeing it of having detail=
s from a reputable source I can't say any more definitely than that - the o=
riginal bell of 1797 of 24-3-25.

The Whitechapel records actually provide the following details:

Peals book, 1797 - 1 32=BC" 7-0-3, 2 33=BD" 7-0-15, 3 35=BC" 8-2-26, 4 38" =
9-3-8, 5 41" 12-1-18, 6 43" 13-2-21, 7 47=BC" 18-1-2, 8 53" 24-3-25 and not=
e "recast 1, 2, 4 and 7, Sept 1845"

Daybook 20 Sept. 1845 - Trinity Church, New York. Recast bells 7-1-4, 6-3-9=
, 9-1-6, 18-0-10 =A3271.3.10, clappers =A34, stocks wheels etc =A332, cases=
& packing & shipping charges =A35.18.6, total =A3313.2.4

The only other information I have comes from an account (and photograph) of=
a visit to the tower by various English ringers in 1991 (RW 1991 p.1210). =
This states that there are eight bells hung in a wooden frame with ringing =
headstocks, bearings and clappers (but minus the wheels) and two more bells=
hung for chiming.=20=20

Sounds to me like an "unringable eight" according to the usual definitions =
(i.e. bells still hung on derelict ringing fittings) rather than a chime, p=
lus - of course - two extras.

Chris P