[Bell Historians] Trinity Church New York

George Dawson George at d...
Sun Dec 29 19:59:09 GMT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

The tenor was recast by Meneeley & Co in 1848 & is 53" in diameter, no weig=
ht. The rest of the bells are as below. The chime bells are an extra treble=
(1 of 9!) by Meneeley 1909, and a flat second of 8 by C & G Mears 1849.

GAD
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Chris Pickford=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Trinity Church New York

The bells were listed in earlier editions of "Dove" as a 25 cwt 8, unring=
able. I submitted the tenor weight as the bell referred to in the Whitecha=
pel records is almost certainly - without actually seeing it of having deta=
ils from a reputable source I can't say any more definitely than that - the=
original bell of 1797 of 24-3-25.

The Whitechapel records actually provide the following details:

Peals book, 1797 - 1 32=BC" 7-0-3, 2 33=BD" 7-0-15, 3 35=BC" 8-2-26, 4 38=
" 9-3-8, 5 41" 12-1-18, 6 43" 13-2-21, 7 47=BC" 18-1-2, 8 53" 24-3-25 and n=
ote "recast 1, 2, 4 and 7, Sept 1845"

Daybook 20 Sept. 1845 - Trinity Church, New York. Recast bells 7-1-4, 6-3=
-9, 9-1-6, 18-0-10 =A3271.3.10, clappers =A34, stocks wheels etc =A332, cas=
es & packing & shipping charges =A35.18.6, total =A3313.2.4

The only other information I have comes from an account (and photograph) =
of a visit to the tower by various English ringers in 1991 (RW 1991 p.1210)=
. This states that there are eight bells hung in a wooden frame with ringin=
g headstocks, bearings and clappers (but minus the wheels) and two more bel=
ls hung for chiming.=20=20

Sounds to me like an "unringable eight" according to the usual definition=
s (i.e. bells still hung on derelict ringing fittings) rather than a chime,=
plus - of course - two extras.

Chris P