[Bell Historians] Reductions list

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Mon Feb 25 20:02:23 GMT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

We do know that the York twelve were rung, and that the 1705 articles for t=
he ringers stipulated that the twelve should be rung - so on the whole I fe=
el that they should go in the list, because a reduction did take place in 1=
765. Whether or not they were the first twelve designed for changeringing i=
s a separate issue from the indisputable fact that they were a twelve hung =
for full-circle ringing.

Bow falls outside the scope of a list, I feel, because the "loss" was so mu=
ch earlier - in 1665 - and we don't know for sure how many bells there were=
before the fire

The list - with York, but without Bow - has gone to David Kelly

CP
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Michael Wilby=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Reductions list

Well... if York can go on as 12, I think Bow should too!=20

I'm not convinced that York were ever a proper instrument (same goes for =
Bow), and I think that St Bride's should be regarded as the first 12, not l=
east because they were created for the purpose of 12-bell ringing - the sam=
e cannot be said of the other two.=20=20

Anyway before anyone rubbishes the Bow claim again, isn't it peculiar tha=
t the new tower was designed to house 12-bells, especially if they were not=
considered to be a 12 before the fire? Both York and Bow are "nice ideas"=
but in practical terms I don't believe either constitued a "ring" a practi=
tioners would recognise it.=20

Michael.=20

Chris Pickford <c.j.pickford at t...> wrote:=20

Fair point. I've sent a revised list to David Kelly already, but I'll a=
dd
York Minster to my master list

Any more suggestions for inclusion?

Chris