York

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Tue Feb 26 15:36:22 GMT 2002

Having looked at Chris' list of reductions, I thought people might be
interested in the York story.

When the first 12 were to be scrapped, the churchwardens of St Michael,
Spurriergate, York, exchanged the front 5 for their three and added a
treble to make six, and as such they remain. They were removed in 1969
when the top of the tower became unsafe and was demolished, but were
rehung in 1986 and are now our main teaching ring. Details and pictures
of them can be found on my 'bells of York' site at
www.bryantd.fsnet.co.uk/york