[Bell Historians] Re: [r-c] Wrangle

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Tue Jul 2 10:23:58 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

The dates for each type of metal frame are given (as David Bryant has point=
ed out) in my Bellframes book. I explored it pretty thoroughly at the time,=
with a lot of help from Taylors. I know of a few small corrections - the B=
ond frame 8.3.A.f wasn't used until 1933 (not 1911) for instance - but I th=
ink most of the other dates are pretty sound. If not, let me know.=20

The Kingweston and Davington frames are included, but these weren't the ear=
liest Taylor cast iron frames. They seem to have been using A frames (8.3.C=
.a) as early as 1835

Chris
----- Original Message -----=20
From: David Bryant=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Re: [r-c] Wrangle

Dickon wrote:

> There is a frame at Davington Priory in Kent dated 1856, for 3 bells. T=
his was at one point considered the earliest metal=20
> frame after Liverpool, but I am not sure who by. Anyway, in the light o=
f this discussion, this info will need updating on=20
> Church Bells of Kent. The Davington frame was made by Taylors ... perha=
ps this is their oldest known metal frame?

Nope - it ain't. The frame for the two great exhibition bells (now 3/10 a=
nd 10/10 at Scarborough) had cast iron sides. I'm not sure about the frame =
for the other bells, but the frame was hacked about and the top tier (conta=
ining 3/10) was removed by Gilletts in the 50s. We have some pictures of th=
e work in progress in the YMSCR scrap books - I'll have a look this evening=
if I remember. Incidentally, Jennings' bell fittings book states that at l=
east one of the exhibition bells was cast with a flat top and had a cast ir=
on stock. We've got a picture of the tenor being lowered, and it clearly ha=
s canons (removed by G&J, I believe). Don't know about the 3rd, but it seem=
s more likely that if either was cast without canons it would be the big on=
e, as was common Taylor practice in the later C19.

A complete early cast iron Taylor frame is at Kingweston, Somerset, and d=
ates from 1854. The five bells (which are tonally very good) are of the sam=
e date, although the fittings have been replaced. The frame is of two tiers=
, with 3,4,5 below with 'H' castings and the trebles above in high-sides 'A=
' frames. The A frames have iron tie bars across the top, but the foundatio=
ns to both tiers and the top ties to the lower frame (which are the foundat=
ion of the upper frame) are of oak. The castings have a rebate in the centr=
e of their crossbar for a plain bearing brass, and are different from later=
Taylor A and H castings in that they have curved braces supporting the cro=
ssbar - sketches of them are given in Chris' bellframes book.

David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20