[Bell Historians] Unjustified Criticism

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Thu Jul 11 11:35:30 BST 2002

"I see on Dickon's Kent site that there is a note that the 5th at
Maidstone has started to go badly because of a loose gudgeon, and the
note (from a local ringer, presumably) ..."

The note is from Graham Heath, ringing master.

"... goes on to say that Taylor's
'missed' this in 2000. I very much doubt if they would miss something
like this, and besides, I can't believe that it could have been loose
since 2000 but only recently been noticed - bells with loose gudgeons
generally go like the sides of houses. I don't think the implied
criticism of Taylor's is fair."

I am not sure that they set out to criticise Taylors. I have some sympathy
with David's comment here, as Maidstone is also one of the country's leading
peal towers.

"Likewise, the mention that twiddle pins
are being fitted implies that Taylor's should have done so."

Not sure that this does...

"I seem to recall someone telling me that the job was done on a limited
budget"

Not sure whether this is true either, but I can check.

Thanks for your comments. I will refer them back to Maidstone in case they
fancy responding.

DrL

SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.