The Ringing World

John Ketteringham john.ketteringham at n...
Wed Mar 13 10:41:36 GMT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

I have become rather concerned with the way in which the Ringing World
debate is going. I wonder whether those who are critical have really
thought about the constraints with which the editor is faced. A
considerable number of pages each week are taken up with reports of peals
and quarter and with notices of meetings. This leaves very little space
for the publication of other material and, of course, the editor must try to
strike a balance.

No editor can please all his readers all the time and it is a thankless
task. I honestly believe that the present staff are doing a very good job.
It is surprising that the paper has not long since ceased publication.
This would be a tragedy as I am sure many ringers rely on it as an essential
means of communication.

I suggest that ringers who really care about the future of the exercise
should first of all become subscribers themselves and then do all they can
to persuade others to be come subscribers.

I suspect that the majority of ringers do not have access to the web and I
suggest that articles such as David's about the 'Lost churches of York'
could be published in the RW in an edited form with a note to the effect
that a more detailed account can be found on the web. In years to come
the RW will still be available for consultation whereas the appropriate web
site may not then.

I did think that the editor's response to David was very reasonable.

web site : http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.ketteringham