[Bell Historians] In Defence Of Dove

Tim Jackson Tim at t...
Sat Mar 30 22:50:18 GMT 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

People may not be aware that the problem of the conflated counties was spot=
ted prior to publication of 9th edition. As I understand it, all copies sh=
ould have been dispatched with two additional sheets giving the corrected v=
ersions. If you didn't receive yours then you can download a copy from the=
Dove web site.
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Andrew Aspland=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 9:30 AM
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] In Defence Of Dove

Nick Bowden writes:
>>Many people seem to have forgotten (or
never noticed) that the 8th edition has typing errors on almost every pag=
e.

Agreed the 8th edition contained a number of typos but small details whic=
could be worked with. Possibly forgotten is the conflation (at least we =
all
learnt a new word) of the counties in the 9th edition. Fewer errors but =
of
a greater magnitude!

>>Several of the questions raised are actually answered in the preface to
the
9th edition...

There was so much lost and so little gained. Answering questions in a
preface is not the same as addressing the issues raised!

I read through the back of the 2nd edition last night and was enlightened=
by
the information contained therein - will the same be true for the 9th
edition in 2050?
The 9th edition was a poor publication which has undoubtedly lost sales a=
s a
result - many of my ringing friends prefer to use the 8th edition and kee=
the 9th as a reference for the odd recent change - no one recommends the
9th!
Yes please let us have chimes back - mode of operation would be an extra =
-
something which is an enhancement of the previous editions!
What about anticlockwise rings - where is the heaviest/lightest most bell=
etc?
The 2nd edition had 17 pages of appendices, the 8th had 27 and the 9th ju=
st
14 - that's progress for you.
Andrew

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20