[Bell Historians] Inscription Bands

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Sun Nov 17 17:23:23 GMT 2002

Nick Bowden wrote:

> Does anyone know what happened to this collection of bronze inscription
> bands?

No, but bearing in mind the date it must be quite likely that they were
scrapped. Incidentally, I seem to recall that Taylor's have the
inscription band from a medieval bell in their museum - anyone know
where that's from? There are also a couple of bands, plus a whole bell,
in the SW clock chamber at Beverley Minster, and the top halves of two
bells at St Mary's. At Kingsdon in Somerset there's the inscription band
of a bell by William Dawe, sat in a dusty corner of the ringing room. It
is on the diocesan list of bells for preservation, but it seems to me
that artefacts such as this (I'm sure there are others) are often not
well enough protected, and it would be so easy for them to be lost
simply by people not appreciating their importance.