Chiming profiles

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Fri Sep 6 15:03:05 BST 2002

DJB:

> Does anybody know when Taylor's developed their
> 'chiming profile', whereby the front bells of a
> chime are lighter than those in a ring?

I don't know the answer, but I can make two suggestions:
1) Ask Andrew Higson
2) Start with the date of their first true-harmonic carillon (I'm
sure Carl Scott-Zimmerman can supply this) and start look at chime
weights either side of this date until you find what you need.

While we are on the subject, an associated and fascinating question
is: when did UK bell-founders START casting heavy / tall ringing
trebles? One assumes it was done to make ringing on higher numbers
(eight, then ten and twelve) easier. I fear the evidence is all but
destroyed, in that there are very few extant early peals of eight or
more left (ref other posts on this list).

One could go into a lot of detail on weights and dimensions, but a
first-cut investigation could probably be accomplished just be
looking at the tuning of the treble primes in these old peals. It
could be that in general UK trebles were always cast heavy. It will
vary from founder to founder, of course, depending on their skill. I
don't have a lot of recordings of very old bells: a couple of Phelps
trebles of 1709 and 1738 have quite good primes, Rudhalls seem always
to have had flat primes, as do some Darbie bells of 1655.

The fascination of this question is that, had the bell-founders not
followed this path in their designs (thereby diverging from
Continental practice), then the work of Simpson and Taylors leading
back to true harmonic tuning would not have been necessary (though
the developments in the accuracy of tuning would still have been
needed, of course).

Bill H