Rusty foundation grillage

oakcroft13 bill at h...
Mon Sep 9 09:14:23 BST 2002

Reading David's note about Oldham reminded me that I was at Merthyr
Tydfil a week ago recording and inspecting (results to be written up
ASAP, v. interesting). The foundation beams there are fabricated:
rivetted up from plate and angle. Some of the plates had started to
laminate through rust. To my uncritical eye there was nothing the
threaten the stability of the installation, but I had not thought of
the rust cracking the castings. Is this a common occurrence?

Bill H