[Bell Historians] Rings of 12 - Keynotes

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Mon Sep 9 15:52:13 BST 2002

I was referring to custom (which has more meaning than uniformity). Anyone
who plays a musical instrument knows that there are a standard set of key
signatures, and D flat major is a scale very rarely referred to or used
(whereas C sharp major is quite common). I just think that using the notes I
referred to demonstrates a little more appreciation and understand of what
they mean. The only note out of these that have equal use is G sharp/A flat
(in that they are both the 3rd symbol in the key signature).

DrL

-----Original Message-----
From: DJ Bryant [mailto:djb122 at y...]
Sent: 09 September 2002 15:44
To: 'bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com'
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Rings of 12 - Keynotes

I've decided to stick with flat for all because it ensures
uniformity - to do otherwise
is rather haphazard - as has already been discussed here, the
difference between C# and Db is meaningless as
far as bells are concerned, and there doesn't seem any point in
perpetuating it. Although Canterbury may usually be described as C#, there
is really no reason why whey shouldn't be described as Db.

David

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, LOVE, Dickon wrote:

> > <DJB's list>
>
> An interesting list, and certainly more worthwhile than many I have seen.
We
> have already discussed the naming of notes (whether one should use the 11
or
> 22 base scales), but isn't it more common to use C#, Eb, F#, Ab, Bb rather
> than the Db, Eb, Gb, Ab, Bb given in this list. Canterbury Cathedral, for
> example, is never described as anything but C#. (I shall try to dig out
the
> exact frequency.)
>
> DrL

> This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
> individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are
> SchlumbergerSema.
> If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
> this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing,

> or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
>
> If you have received this email in error please notify the
> SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To
unsubscribe from the list send an email to
bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com