[Bell Historians] C# or not C#!

j.greenhough at w... j.greenhough at w...
Tue Sep 10 09:21:03 BST 2002

Nicely put, Mike; we're back to the extensive discussion of many months
ago. To make an exact analogy with light, it's like when we describe
things as `red' or `blue'; these colour labels alone, as with notes
denoted by
letters alone, only give us an idea of a range of possible colours. Only a
frequency (or further a spectrum if we're interested in higher harmonics)
can specify exactly a note/colour, as that is indeed how pitch and colour
are defined.