[Bell Historians] Rings of 12-keynotes

LOVE, Dickon DrLove at s...
Tue Sep 10 09:38:15 BST 2002

Jim:

"There is a distinct difference in the sound produced by a pre-war Dflat
bell or even a post-war Dflat bell (Cripplegate) and a 'modern' bell tuned
to Csharp."

I don't suppose the difference is in the strike note pitch, but more to do
with the tuning of the rest of it. I am sure that (for example) a modern
foundry could produce a modern "nasal twang" bell in Db - it is just that
they elect to call it C#!

Perhaps with a few more stats on the frequencies of strike notes, it would
be interesting to compare the frequencies of bells described as C# or Db. I
bet the scatter would show a random balance between C and D!!!

What is the frequency of Truro tenor then?

DrL

P.S. Sorry to reopen this can of worms, but I *do* love Jim's rants! Knew it
was only a matter of time before he mentioned tuning forks!!!

SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing,
or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.