[Bell Historians] Tenor Weights

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Thu Sep 12 13:13:45 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

John makes a fair point. In assisting with the latest version of "Dove" I =
took some trouble to try and unpick the x-x-0 weights to distinguish betwee=
n approximate and exact, but "before I got there" quite a lot of them had a=
ll been treated in the same way (can't remember now whether it was as estim=
ates or exact).

CP
----- Original Message -----=20
From: John Paul Adams=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Tenor Weights

MC:

>> I don't know about that, but someone told me some years ago that the=20
>> tenor at Helmsley came out at exactly 15cwt after tuning. Someone at=20
>> Taylors thought that nobody would take this at face value and it=20
>> would ever more be thought to be an estimate. Therefore it is listed=
=20
>> as 14-3-27. Probably an urban myth, but why let the truth get in the=
=20
>> way of a good story!

Something that I have always wondered about is that shouldn't this occour
once every 28 bells on average? How many bells that come out at an exact
quarter of a hundredweight are now listed as approximate!

John

--=20
John Paul Adams, Medical School IT Support Section,
University College London, London, WC1E 6BT.
Work: 020-7679-6867. Email: J.Adams at u...
WWW: http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaajpa/

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20