Finding copies of 'rare' books

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Wed Sep 18 15:31:37 BST 2002

Robert Lunn:

> I have tried to get my hands on books at libraries
> but find a lot have disappeared and the price they
> want from secondhand book shops is beyond my reach.

Where do you live? The British Library in London is of course
excellent. You can get a 6-month reader's ticket if you can persuade
them your research is legitimate (it worked for me a couple of years
ago, I later managed to get a five year ticket.) You can order books
over the net for delivery to a desk in a couple of days time.

In Manchester, I have found the Central Library absolutely excellent
for the more historical stuff (for instance, they have copies of The
Pall Mall Magazine from which I photocopied Simpson's papers). They
are not so good on recent books as I think budget cuts have limited
their purchasing power.

Elsewhere in the country it is worth approaching university
libraries, for instance I know that some of the Oxford libraries
admit non-members of the university.

Also, some bellringing organisations have quite good libraries, some
catalogues are published on the net to make things easier to find.

I think it's always possible to find a copy of a book you need
somehow, it just sometimes takes a bit of time. At a pinch, I'm sure
members of this list will copy stuff for you (I have a copy of
Elphick's Sussex book) provided it doesn't become too much of a habit!

Good hunting!

Bill H