Roger Rice, 1743

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Wed Sep 18 19:53:36 BST 2002

Histories of Chester, Pennsylvania, USA, and of St.Paul's Episcopal
Church in that town, mention a bell made in England and inscribed
"Roger Rice, Chester 1743". This bell may have been recast/replaced
by Wilbanks of Philadelphia about 1835, possibly replicating the
older inscription. The bell was moved from the second building of
this parish to the third one in April 1900. In 1909 the church
acquired an 11-bell chime from the Meneely/Watervliet foundry.

I don't know whether the old bell survives, because all of the above
information was found on the Web, and I haven't yet contacted the
church directly. Also, I haven't found anything else on the Web
about "Roger Rice" that can be connected with either bells or the
1740s.

The point of this message is to ask the English historians the following:

1) Is "Roger Rice" a known bellfounder c.1743?

2a) If so, where was he working? (Chester would be a nice coincidence!)
2b) If not, what other foundries existed in 1743 that might have
exported a bell to the colonies? (Whitechapel is obvious; but who
else?)

3) Any other hints/suggestions/clues to explicate this matter?

Thanks in advance!

--
Carl Scott Zimmerman, CCP <XNS-Name:=Carl Scott Zimmerman=>
Certified Computing Professional (ICCP) Campanologist