Merthyr Tydfil

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Tue Sep 24 22:07:41 BST 2002

Andrew Higson has just sent me a wealth of information on the Merthyr
bells, for which I am most grateful. The most important fact is that
the treble was recast in 1895 after attempts to tune the 1893 bell.
This in no way detracts from their importance and interest as a peal,
but means that the exact sequence of events between Taylor's and
Simpson's work is still not entirely clear. I will be doing a
significant update to my analysis in the light of the additional info
Andrew has provided.

Bill H