[Bell Historians] Bell parts = body parts

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Fri Sep 27 18:15:10 BST 2002

Interesting! I've taken to calling the decorated area just below the
shoulder the "shoulder band", because it _doesn't_ always contain an
inscription. And even if it does, there may also be inscriptions
elsewhere on the bell. I've seen them on the waist, where they are
usually arranged to be viewed from one side of the bell. (Is "side"
a body part or not? :) Of course this is most common for custom
inscriptions, but some bellfounders have put their own maker's mark
there. (McShane and Fulton are two that come to mind.) I've also
seen the maker's inscription standing on the bead at the tangent
between concave waist and convex soundbow (American branch of
Rincker) as well as on the soundbow itself (Pyatkov and other Russian
founders).

The various locations of inscriptions might be a good topic for an
illustrated Webpage. Or has someone already done that?