[Bell Historians] Bell parts = body parts

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford at t...
Fri Sep 27 18:19:46 BST 2002

charset="iso-8859-1"

Taylor, of course, call the "inscription band" the "mulley groove"

CP
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Carl S Zimmerman=20
To: Bell Historians List=20
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Bell parts =3D body parts

Interesting! I've taken to calling the decorated area just below the=20
shoulder the "shoulder band", because it _doesn't_ always contain an=20
inscription. And even if it does, there may also be inscriptions=20
elsewhere on the bell. I've seen them on the waist, where they are=20
usually arranged to be viewed from one side of the bell. (Is "side"=20
a body part or not? :) Of course this is most common for custom=20
inscriptions, but some bellfounders have put their own maker's mark=20
there. (McShane and Fulton are two that come to mind.) I've also=20
seen the maker's inscription standing on the bead at the tangent=20
between concave waist and convex soundbow (American branch of=20
Rincker) as well as on the soundbow itself (Pyatkov and other Russian=20
founders).

The various locations of inscriptions might be a good topic for an=20
illustrated Webpage. Or has someone already done that?

At 16:49 +0100 on 2002/09/27, David Bryant wrote:

> > Comments? clarifications? other body parts used in reference to bell=
s?

>It means the inscritption band, i.e. just below the shoulder. Victorian
>writers are often apt to use flowery terminology, in some cases of their=
own
>invention!
>
>Davod

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20