[Bell Historians] Bell parts = body parts

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Fri Sep 27 22:17:48 BST 2002

But the word "shoulderband" (or "shoulder band" if you don't like
compound words) doesn't imply that there is any inscription
involved--only that there is a band of some sort of decoration (with
or without inscription) around the shoulder of the bell. Why call
something an "inscription band" if there is no inscription in it?

Most of Henry McShane's bells had two pairs of bead lines (moulding
wires) just below a rounded shoulder, but his name, city and
trademark were centered on the waist. So there was no inscription in
the shoulder band of his bells.

J.G.Stuckstede of St.Louis always used a quasi-triangular repeating
motif around the sharp shoulder of his bells. If that was the only
decoration, then that was the shoulder band, and his inscription was
placed below that band (name on one side of the bell, place and year
on the other side). If the customer paid for more fancy decoration,
then the maker's inscription became part of that fancy shoulder band,
with the triangular motif below and a vine pattern above.

After J.G. retired, his younger brother Henry took over the foundry,
and soon eliminated the shoulder band altogether. He put just name,
place and year in three lines below the sharp shoulder on one side of
the bell.

The separate foundry of Stuckstede & Bro. (the sons of J.G., who
apparently didn't get along with their uncle Henry) always used a
more English style of shoulder band--two moulding wires, with their
name, place and year in between.

So whether there is a decorative band around the shoulder of a bell
is a separate question from whether (and where) there is any maker's
inscription and/or custom inscription.

--
=Carl Scott Zimmerman= Co-Webmaster: http://www.gcna.org/
Voicemail: +1-314-361-5194 (home) mailto:csz_stl at s...