[Bell Historians] St Peter's Italian Church

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Sat Sep 28 16:01:40 BST 2002

At 23:08 +0000 on 2002/09/27, Bill Hibbert wrote:

>Basic details: 228.5cm in diameter (about 7'6"), nominal 395.6 Hz (G
>+15). Inscription unfortunately pretty much unreadable.

Chris Pickford supplied the details of the now-unreadable inscription
from "Rubbings in Tyssen Collection, Society of Antiquaries".
Unfortunately that wasn't accompanied by any indication of when the
rubbing was taken, otherwise we might be able to estimate how long it
took for the inscription to corrode into unreadability.

While steel bells are certainly much more subject to corrosion than
bronze bells are, the rate and degree of corrosion are highly
variable. The 1860 octave of Naylor Vickers bells which I discovered
earlier this year in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, are in excellent
condition, as are three huge bells here in St.Louis that were cast in
1911 by the Bochumer Stahlverein of Germany. (Other names for that
firm are known.)

At 10:09 +0100 on 2002/09/28, jim phillips asked:

>... would a coat of anti corrosion paint affect the bell tone?

Most American steel bells sound so horrible that nothing could make
them worse. While they weren't painted originally (as far as I can
determine), many of the surviving ones have been painted. (Sometimes
the result is visually horrible, too!) I've not been able to hear
that such paint makes a detectable difference to the sound, but
that's not to say that proper instrumentation couldn't detect some
differences, particularly if the paint were thickly applied.

The 48-bell Eijsbouts carillon installed a year ago in Springfield,
Missouri, appears to have had its bells sprayed at the foundry with
an extremely thin paint in a pale bronze color. Possibly this was
for visual effect, since the bells are highly visible from the
ground. Certainly it does not detract at all from the sound, which
is very fine.

However, there is an alternative to paint as an anti-corrosion
treatment. For some years, I've occasionally heard mention of an
oil-based treatment to protect bronze bells (though I've not yet seen
it in place). The Lancaster steel bells mentioned above have
certainly been treated with such a substance; I was told that this
was done when Schulmerich replaced the chime transmission a few years
ago. While it does give the bells a dark and slightly damp
appearance, it does not drip, and apparently is not at all volatile.
It doesn't obscure the inscriptions at all, though it remains to be
seen whether it will eventually collect enough dirt (a la vehicle
motors) to do that.

If someone is concerned about preservation of St.Peter's great steel
bell from further corrosion, I would strongly encourage investigation
of possibilities along this line.

--
Carl Scott Zimmerman, CCP <XNS-Name:=Carl Scott
Zimmerman=>