Firing the bells!

Alan J.Birney fartwell2000 at y...
Tue Aug 5 10:38:29 BST 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, RingingMatters at a... wrote:
> I have heard, somewhere, that it is a tradition to fire the bells
seven times
> consecutively at a wedding to bring good luck to the bride and
groom.

> Is this true? Is it done before or after the service?
>
> Does any tower do this?
>
> What is the origin of this tradtion?
>
> Malcolm Bland
At Whalley,It used to be a custom(and still may be) to fire
the bells after the service and the firing used to last for a few
minutes. Firing also used to occur during the new years eve ringing
after midnight.
Accrington also used to fire the bells after a wedding.
A custom at whalley for funeral ringing was that the bells would
ring a whole pull of rounds,then the front seven would stand whilst
the tenor rang a whole pull on its own then the bells would ring a
whole of rounds againt and stand,etc, and again this would last a
couple of minutes

Alan