Great Bede

David Cawley dave at d...
Tue Aug 5 17:36:06 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

I have some copies of letters which Canon Nolloth wrote in later life to th=
e authorities at Bristol University, amongst which he states that Taylors h=
ad "Cast me two wonderful great Bells for Beverley Minster" as well as exto=
lling the recently-cast "Great Peter".

I don't think that he so much as rejected the 1900 Great Bell - after all, =
he had it hung and "dedicated with great cermony" by the Archbishop of York=
, - as sent it back for the new model. As Matthew says, to get a decent mu=
sical interval below his new tenor, you needed at least to have the bell tu=
ned to a musical interval and tuned harmonically. Alan Berry told me that =
originally, it had been "slightly tuned", but the arrival of the big tuning=
machine in December 1900 changed the picture completely. As it is, they to=
ok 6-cwt out of it, and the musical note is G as is Great John. I must adm=
it to liking it very much, despite the slight "growl" which Nolloth noted a=
s "an extra harmonic".=20=20

The De Lisle family who "discovered" the Great Bell for Downside were great=
friends of the Taylors, and remain one of Leicestershire's principal famil=
ies.

Beverley's present great bell, Great John, is a truly marvellous sounding b=
ell - and well complemented by the old medieval tenor hanging beside it (fo=
r ringing) as a daily service bell. The appearance of the bell as you enter=
off the stairs is truly awesome. What a pity it isn't used as its generous=
donor and faithful Vicar intended.

DLC