[Bell Historians] st Giles cheadle staffordshire

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Tue Aug 5 19:48:11 BST 2003

---

I looked at Ditton with Graham Austin from Liverpool in the 1960s or
1970s. There were some details about them and the R.C. Bootle chime
and bourdon, I think, in RW. Chris Pickford may be able to help.
The bells were derelict and unless new floors had been put in they
had never been rung because there were no rope holes. Didn't look for
clapper indentation. There was a chiming frame on the wall but it
didn't look like it was in use. Unfortunately I didn't retain notes
from those early days. I think it was on the same occasion that we
knocked on the Vicarage door at Widnes St. Paul to seek permission to
inspect them. The Vicar politely informed us that there were no
bells in the tower. At that moment the clock chimed. Not a word was
said but the vicarage door closed quite firmly!!!!!!!!

In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dave at d...> wrote:
> What about Ditton RC church Cheshire (6, 14 cwt - reputedly u/r).
>
> Does anyone know anything about these bells ?
>
> DLC

1845. However, they weren't the first ring of bells in a Roman
Catholic church in England since the reformation. That honour goes
(though do correct me if I'm wrong) to the ring of six of 1844 by C &
G Mears at St.John the Evangelist at Kirkham, Lancs.

> Other early rings in RC churches include Thurnham (1848),
Rainhill (1848), Clapham (1851) and the original steel eight (1860)
at Sheffield later transferred to Moseley

> Chris Pickford

accepted ..
> and i will pass it along to john .thanks. john maloney
>

> This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing
List. To unsubscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-
unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com

Service.

unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com

Service.