Chiming Hammers

Andrew Aspland aaspland at y...
Tue Aug 5 22:59:11 BST 2003

Today I went to look at the chime of eight at St Mary's, Low Harrogate
(Taylor 1915). I was quite surprised to find that the chiming clappers were
infact your genuine wrought iron ringing clappers complete with independent
crown staple and pin with screw down greaser. There was an eye put into the
end of each flight by which means the wires were attached. Baton clavier
and quite responsive to the touch. Are there any other cases of ringing
clappers used for chiming especially from this era.

The eight in the previous church were 15cwt and had one peal rung on them -
recorded on a beautiful etched glass, gold and black peal board now sadly in
about five pieces. The present tower is 20 feet square and fairly lofty
where there ever any plans to hang them for ringing? Does anyone know who
cast the previous eight?

Lastly there were three different Taylor badges used on the bells. Is there
a definitive list with illustrations to refer to?
Andrew