[Bell Historians] Chiming Hammers

David Bryant david at b...
Wed Aug 6 10:13:18 BST 2003

> Today I went to look at the chime of eight at St Mary's, Low Harrogate
> (Taylor 1915). I was quite surprised to find that the chiming clappers
were
> infact your genuine wrought iron ringing clappers complete with
independent
> crown staple and pin with screw down greaser. There was an eye put into
the
> end of each flight by which means the wires were attached. Baton clavier
> and quite responsive to the touch. Are there any other cases of ringing
> clappers used for chiming especially from this era.

When sorting out the mounds of fittings David Potter had accumulated I came
across just such a clapper. It was a wrought iron ringing-type clapper, with
an offset staple, an eye in the flight, and a seemingly deliberately bent
clapper shank to angle the ball and flight towards the bell. Not absolutely
sure where it came from, but we think it was from the 1920 Taylor chime
formerly at St Barnabas, Highfield, Sheffield. If you want to see the
clapper ask Jonathan Galloway - I gave it to him!

As I understand it, Taylor's didn't start using modern-type chming clappers
until the 1920s or 30s. Does anyone have an exact date?