Chiming Hammers

Alan J.Birney fartwell2000 at y...
Wed Aug 6 00:29:49 BST 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Aspland"
<aaspland at y...> wrote:
> Today I went to look at the chime of eight at St Mary's, Low
Harrogate
> (Taylor 1915). I was quite surprised to find that the chiming
clappers were
> infact your genuine wrought iron ringing clappers complete with
independent
> crown staple and pin with screw down greaser. There was an eye put
into the
> end of each flight by which means the wires were attached. Baton
clavier
> and quite responsive to the touch. Are there any other cases of
ringing
> clappers used for chiming especially from this era.

The ringing clappers at Ingleton were adapted for an ellacombe
apparatus by fitting eyes to the clapper balls(from memory) and the
bells all retain thier ringing fittings,but bolts pass through the
spokes and into the frame preventing the bells from swinging.
I think Cyril Crosthwaite had rung there(in the 1950s?) but I dont
know when the work was carried out.
Some of you will know I have a "fetish" for steel bells and I think
Ingleton sound quite good.
Alan