Miscellaneous (as usual!)

Susan Dalton dalton.family at v...
Mon Aug 11 21:32:07 BST 2003

I always call them moulding LINES - I think of a wire as something detached.
Besides, early ones are not wire-shaped (ie. rounded) in section

Keyed/wedged bolts for hanging bells went on well into the 18th century
before they were universally superseded by square nuts.

GAD was asking about an 18th century Bristol founder by the name of Rice.
Fred Sharpe found a bell by Rice & Wasbrough dated 1752 at Llandyfriog in
Ceredigion (see Church Bells of Cardiganshire) and I have found another at
Haroldston West in Pembrokeshire. Perhaps Bowden & Son in Bristol can shed
some further light? Wasbrough was later partnered by Duggan and later still
by Hale. There are one or two bells in Dorset and Wiltshire by the last
named but none by the other partnerships.

CD