[Bell Historians]

David Bryant david at b...
Mon Aug 11 21:45:12 BST 2003

> Been to have a look at the three at Kirkby Overblow, just south of
> Harrogate. They are hung in a Taylor cast-iron four bell frame and have
> modern fittings except they are on wooden headstocks - presumeably to
> preserve the canons (and use them) - though the treble has a broken canon
> and is drilled through the crown. BUT here is the unusual thing they have
> Hastings stays.
>
> Is there anywhere else out there with wooden headstocks and hastings
stays?

Some of the bells at Ambrosden, Oxon - I think! What date are Kirkby
Overblow? Presumably it was before canon retaining headstocks came in.

All Saints, Norwich (1914), as I recall, had wooden stocks on the back
three, and traditional stays and sliders on all except 1/6, which had a
Hastings. Don't know why. Since restoration, the back three are on canon
retaining stocks, and the Hastings stay remains on what is now 2/6.